“Writing process” is a big catch phrase in the education world, and students will do everything possible to complete as little of the process as possible. The writing process involves reflecting on your own writing and actually making noticeable changes and improvements.
The Missing Golden Ticket is a book of Roald Dahl writing secrets and includes tidbits about Dahl’s process for writing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It includes a chapter from the Chocolate Factory book that was edited out before publication. Readers get to learn about Dahl’s original story and character ideas, which are very different from the published book. This book is a great option to illustrate an author’s journey through the writing process.
If you love Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, you might also like these gems:
Floors by Patrick Carman
- Instead of a candy factory, this book is set in a hotel. Each room of the hotel has a different crazy theme. The book also has a duck side story, which made me think of the Peabody Hotel in Memphis. I wrote to Mr. Carman, the author inquiring about the ducks, and it is an allusion to the Peabody Hotel.
Candymakers by Wendy Mass
- A group of children are selected to participate in a candy making contest. The book is broken into parts, and the same events are retold in each part of the story but from the point of view of a different character.
The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman
- This book is set in a toy factory, but like Charlie, the kids in the story have to survive the challenges and be the last one standing.
Book Scavenger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman
- Using clues from books, people try to be the first to win the scavenger hunt. It is set in San Francisco and mixes whodunnit with literary references.
Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library by Chris Grabenstein
- This combines library and literature knowledge into a scavenger hunt. It’s like Book Scavenger meets Gollywhopper Games.
For more Hidden Gem book ideas, CLICK HERE. Some of my teacher blogging friends are sharing more great-but-often-forgotten book titles! To purchase activities related to The Missing Golden Ticket, CLICK HERE.