I am not sure what I was thinking when I did not include baby books as a suggestion for The Best Baby Gifts in my last post.
Board books are a great newborn baby and first birthday gift. The heavier page is sturdy and stands up to the wear and tear of a baby or toddler. They are specifically made to protect against drool damage. They are a good price point and wrap very well.
Many classic children’s picture books that were originally published in traditional hardback with paper pages are now available in a board book version too. Board books are typically not longer than 30 pages, so you may get an abridged version of the original book in the board book style. If you want to get your money’s worth, go for the board book version as a first book.
What books have you given as a baby or toddler gift?
- Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman
- Baby Faces and others by DK Publishing
- The Cheerios Play Book by Lee Wade
- Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet and Allan Ahlberg
- Goodnight Moon, The Runaway Bunny, and Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown
- Jamberry by Bruce Deegan
- Moo, Ba, La La La! and Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boynton
- My Truck is Stuck by Kevin Lewis and Daniel Kirk
- The Napping House by Audrey Wood
- 1 is One by Tasha Tudor
- Open the Barn Door by Christopher Santoro
- Planting a rainbow by Lois Ehlert
- Sheep in a Jeep and Sheep in a Shop by Nancy E. Shaw
- Time for Bed by Mem Fox
- Very Hungry Caterpillar, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? and others by Eric Carle