I got a text earlier this week from my neighbor, Miss Jackie, suggesting we order pizza and have snacks Saturday night in the front yard while the kids rode bikes, played Ghosts in the Graveyard, and ran around. Easy enough– we love casual summer get togethers. Who knew there would be a pop-up thunderstorm at 5:00? The whole group ended up in my kitchen and playroom, and I drank margaritas. I made a blue cheese Columbine dip that works really well as a topping for hamburgers too, so we cancelled the pizza idea and grilled burgers.
The original recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, Colorado Collage. Sewing Sister thinks we should add crumbled bacon to the top to make it even more delicious.
- 1/2 lb. crumbled blue cheese
- 1/3 c. chopped red onion
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 T. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 t. crushed garlic
- 1 t. dry mustard
- 1/4 t. ground black pepper
- 1/3 c. chopped fresh parsley
- Pour crumbled blue cheese in a 9-inch pie pan or similar sized dish (I used a quiche dish).
- In a food processor, combine onion, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, mustard, and pepper. Pulse to blend.
- Pour the dressing evenly over the blue cheese.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Let stand 2+ hours at room temperature.
- Serve with blue corn tortilla chips, pita chips, or little toasted bread triangles.
- Add a scoop to the top of a freshly grilled hamburger to make a blue cheese burger.
Yum! I have Colorado Collage. Love anything I try. I forwarded this on to Allison and Kirsten as we all love Blue Cheese. If you haven’t made the Chicken Enchiladas Suizas, page 276, you must! The suggested Fiesta Salad with it is wonderful as well.
I had a great 1 1/2 hour catch up phone visit with your mom on Friday,I think it was. We always have so much to talk about after 70 years of friendship!
Your children are handsome and beautiful and growing up quickly. Remember you are always welcome here to stay or eat as you drive I-70 somewhere!
Love to you and yours, Lorna
Sent from my iPad
You are welcome at my house any time too! I always love visiting with you; you are one of my favorite friends of my mom. 🙂
I may have to make chicken enchiladas this week. XO Caitlin