I seem to spend a lot of time posting about school lunch for kids and teachers. It is not because I enjoy packing lunch. In fact, it is the opposite. I dread making school lunches. Currently, I have TheRoomDad on lunch packing duty, and my mornings are much more efficient and stress free.
One favorite lunch staple at TheRoomMom’s house is the classic wrap sandwich. I made them a few times last year for Miss Priss’ kindergarten snack duty. I like them because they can be made the night before, and they do not get soggy in the refrigerator overnight. We stuff with a variety of fillings to satisfy adult and child eaters, and they are not too unhealthy.
- large flour tortillas
- thinly sliced turkey, ham, salami or whatever deli meat you prefer
- cream cheese, softened
- shredded lettuce (optional)
- grated carrots (optional)
- red pepper strips (optional)
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on one side of a tortilla. Cover the entire surface.
- Cover the cream cheese with a layer of your deli meat of choice.
- Near one edge of the tortilla, sprinkle a line of lettuce, carrot, red pepper strips, or whatever veggies you choose to use.
- From the end with the sliced vegetables, roll the tortilla.
- Slice into 5 pieces. (I discard the ends– and by discard, I mean TheRoomDad eats them.)
The Miss Priss Special
- cream cheese, turkey, sliced red pepper
The Mr. Star Wars Special
- cream cheese, salami, shredded lettuce
- cream cheese, turkey, shredded lettuce, shredded carrot, sliced red pepper
- cream cheese, salami, sliced tomato, shredded lettuce, shredded carrot, sliced red pepper, a few shakes of black pepper
Lunch for tomorrow & the next day too I think! Thanks!
Glad I could help!
The Erik Special:
Ranch dressing, Spinach, any meat, black olives, cherry tomatoes. YUM!!!
Spinach– that’s a good filling! Looking forward to testing this combo.
I would not have thought of using cream cheese, my kids would love that. So glad our school includes lunch, I do not miss packing the lunch boxes. But I will keep this in mind for after-school / pre-sports snacks.
I would love to have lunch included. We buy Monday and Friday, and I dread the other days. We could buy all days, but this is sort of a compromise.
These are great when kids have sports from 5:00-7:30 and effectively misses dinner. They can eat a little before and then take the leftovers with them for the ride home. The Bridget special: red pepper, yellow pepper, carrots, cucumber, sprouts, veggie cream cheese (turkey optional). Or peanut butter and carrots (if the peanut-allergy kid isn’t within 50 miles that day).
I would never have thought of a carrot/peanut butter combo. Do you grate the carrot?