After I posted the Blackberry Vodka Lemonade last week, I decided to run a series this summer testing fruity cocktails. I am on summer vacation, and my productivity levels go in the toilet unless I have some goals. This seemed like a worthwhile project, and I already had the Pinterest board for drinks that look refreshing. Last night I tweaked a recipe for a watermelon cocktail. Overall, I like tart, citrus drinks better (like a margarita), but this cocktail was pretty good.
Watermelon Vodka Slushie
- ~1 1/2 c. watermelon, cut into small chunks
- ~1 1/2 c. vodka
- ~ 2 c. cranberry juice
- Sprite, 7up, or gingerale
- crushed ice
- Add watermelon chunks to vodka and let it steep for about an hour. After about an hour, blend the vodka and watermelon until it is a slushie consistency. I used an immersion blender, but you could use a regular blender.
- Add equal parts cranberry to the vodka mixture. I had ~2 c. watermelon vodka and added 2 c. cranberry.
- Fill glass with crushed ice. Pour watermelon vodka cranberry mixture over ice. Fill about 2/3 full.
- Add a splash of Sprite, 7up, or gingerale on top.
Here are options I am considering for next weekend. Anyone have any opinions?
- Cherry Margarita
- Raspberry Lemon Drop
- something called a Paradise
That’s what I’m talkin’ about!
Stephanie– Do you have any lofty goals for your summer vacation? Aren’t you finished for the school year? I know the NE gets out later than we do.
this looks refreshing…
my trademark summer drink (or girls luncheon or baby/bridal shower beverage) is a Mango Bellini…it gets served in a punch bowl, so you have to watch out for kids thinking it’s okay for them to consume.
You must share the recipe! I can add it to the list of drinks to try.
This looks great for summer!
It is very summer-y! 🙂
Hi Caitlin! I recently made a keg out of a watermelon and served your watermelon vodka slushie out of it. It was absolutely delicious and a huge hit, so thank you, thank you, thank you!! You know how I love my fruity drinks! 🙂
Oh my gosh– such a good idea! Did you take a picture?? You must share if you did. I will post on Facebook. Can’t wait to see you in a few weeks. We can test fruity drinks the whole time you are here. I am making cherry margaritas tonight.
Pingback: 4th of July Cocktail | theroommom