I pulled out the turkey toilet paper roll napkin rings my children made when they were in kindergarten. I like to use them for a few weeks around Thanksgiving– not just on Thanksgiving day. The year my son built his, we made sets for all of the grandparents and extended family and brought them with us to our family Thanksgiving meal. My in-laws still have their napkin rings.
If you make the napkin ring at school, it’s a fun little craft students can take home to their family. If you are building these with a whole class, you may want to pre-make certain steps, and you will need two days to let paint and glue dry– or do some work at the beginning of the day and finish construction towards the end of the day.
- toilet paper or paper towel rolls cut into 2 inch wide rings.
- brown and yellow tempera paint
- brown pipe cleaners (for the feet, optional)
- red felt
- assorted colored feathers (we used red, yellow, and orange)
- googly eyes, 3 mm
- wood craft spoons ~3/5 inches in height (I used THESE)
- Elmer’s glue or hot glue gun
- Paint the wooden craft spoons yellow and the toilet paper roll rings brown. Let dry. (This step can be prepped ahead of time if you do not want the mess and clean-up of lots of tempera paint.)
- Cut the red felt into a tear drop shape about 1-inch tall.
- After the paint dries, glue the red felt tear drop shaped piece onto the middle of the spoon end of the wooden stick. Glue two googly eyes above the read waddle. Let dry flat.
- Glue the yellow wooden stick turkey face to the side of the painted toilet paper roll piece. You may need to hold the craft spoon in place for a few minutes, so the face does not slide to the side. ** Note: Hot glue might be a better option here since the Elmer’s glue takes longer to dry and hold.
- If you are adding the pipe cleaner feet, you will need an adult to poke two holes at the base of the wooden spoon. Thread the pipe cleaner through the two holes, so a loop runs around the inside of the toilet paper roll. Fold and bend each pipe cleaner end into feet shape with 3 toes. Cut any excess length of pipe cleaner off.
- Glue 3 feathers onto the back of the toilet paper roll and arrange, so the feathers are fanned out.
- Roll a napkin and slid into the napkin ring and set at each place setting for your Thanksgiving feast!