For the past two years, my students have operated a small business at the holidays selling Mason Jar Cookie Mixes to the families in our school community. It is part of our focus on business and financial literacy skills that we cover all year. This year, we changed it up a little and manufactured layered cocoa mixes. The new business had a lower overhead, and it was easier to source pint sized Mason jars, which translated into (a little) less work for the teacher-supervisors!
The cocoa mixes make great gifts for friends and neighbors at the holidays and are easy to assemble. Whether you are making 27-dozen like we did or just a few for gifts, it is an easy DIY holiday gift.
- 1/2 c. powdered milk
- 1 T. original powdered creamer
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/8 t. salt
- 1/4 c. semi sweet mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 c. crushed peppermint bits
- 1/4 c. mini marshmallows (or enough to fill to the top of the jar)
- In a pint Mason jar, layer ingredients in the order listed above beginning with the powdered milk.
- Press firmly after the chocolate chip layer and again after the peppermint bits layer.
- Fill to the top of the jar with marshmallows.
- Attach a tag with a ribbon that says, “Mix jar ingredients in a large bowl. For each serving, place 1/3 c. mix in a mug and stir in 1 c. boiling water. Store remaining mix in an airtight container.”
- I found 5 oz. bags of crushed peppermint at Walmart in their holiday baking display. If you can’t find pre-crushed peppermint, buy classic candy canes and crush them yourself. If you are making really large quantities, order online from a source like Candy Warehouse in 5-lb. bags.
That’s such a great idea. I gave my mom a mason jar filled with the ingredients for chocolate chip cookies for Mother’s Day and she really loved it. I am so excited to see your other mason jar recipes :).
We did the chocolate chip cookie jar with my students last year. We also made a ranger-type cookie with oatmeal and M&Ms that is pretty good. I love the way Mason jar recipes look!
Me too :). That sounds great. I’ll have to look into the ranger-type cookie with oatmeal and M&Ms. It sounds great for my oatmeal loving hubby. 🙂
Pingback: Reindeer Food Craft | TheRoomMom