I am working on 4th of July party food ideas. I will have Sewing Sister and my nieces with me, and we want to do a good picnic at the beach and watch fireworks. I think the adults will need a refreshing cocktail to balance out the meal. I first made this vodka sparkler when Aunt B was here last year. At that time, we used strawberries and peaches. At the swim meet last week, I mixed it up again using blueberries and peaches. Either fruit combination will be perfect for July 4th!
- 12 strawberries (~10 for the fruit vodka and extra for garnish)
- OR 1/2 pint of blueberries in place of the strawberries
- 1 peach (peeled if it is not too soft)
- 2 c. vodka
- 1 c. simple syrup (see the notes)
- 1 c. fresh lemon juice
- Prosecco (or other sparkling wine)
- fresh mint for garnish
- Cut 10 strawberries into bite sizes and place in a pitcher OR put blueberries in a pitcher. Cut the peach into bite sizes and add to the pitcher. Pour vodka over the fruit and let steep in the refrigerator 3+ hours.
- Make simple syrup and let cool (see notes below).
- After the vodka finishes steeping, strain the fruit from the vodka.
- Mix equal parts fruit vodka, simple syrup, and lemon juice. I mixed 1 cup each of fruit vodka, simple syrup, and fresh lemon juice, which yielded about 4 cocktails. You can double or triple (or reduce) as needed.
- Fill a glass about 2/3 full with crushed ice. Pour the drink mix over the ice; top with a splash of Prosecco (~2 oz.).
- Garnish with a mint sprig and a slice of strawberry (or a few blueberries) and serve.
- The color of the strawberries leeches out while sitting in the vodka, so it is not very pretty to leave the soaked fruit in your cocktail, but you certainly can. The blueberries retained their color, so I did use the vodka soaked blueberries as a garnish in the blueberry version.
- To make simple syrup, Put equal parts water and sugar in a pot and heat on the stove until sugar is dissolved. Swirl the mixture a few times while heating. Remove from heat and let cool. If you only need a few cocktails, mix 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar. If you are mixing cocktails for a large group, double or triple. Leftover simple syrup can be kept in a container with a lid in the refrigerator for a long time.
- Sonic Drive-In sells their really good pellet ice by the bag, cup, or will even fill your cooler! It is the perfect ice if you are making this cocktail in picnic/tailgate conditions. I find Reusable Tumblers and colorful straws add a nice touch too.
Yummy! This sounds like the perfect summer adult beverage! Have fun with the sewing sister and family!
Would love to have you join us!
I’m so excited to make is one!!
I was sucking them down pretty fast at the swim meet because it was unbearably hot, and I was getting dehydrated quickly, and they are so refreshing. They will sneak up on you!
This was a huge hit for the 4th of July!!
What fruit combo did you use for the vodka? I think I liked the strawberry/peach better than blueberry/peach.