Since the puppy arrived at our house about a month ago, I have had a little extra time on my hands in the morning. After the 5:45 am wake up call, the puppy wants to play. By 6:15, the puppy wants to rest, and I am in the kitchen by myself. This morning I made these little Cinnamon Puffs for breakfast (recipe below). Unlike the pizza from a few nights ago, I baked these without the help of my children. Now, do not be fooled. Most mornings I sit at the kitchen table with an iced coffee and alternate looking at my US magazine and staring out of the window until someone else from my household arrives in the kitchen, and I can go lie down in my bed again. Anybody else gone above and beyond for a tasty breakfast treat lately?
- 1/3 c. shortening (Crisco)
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1 c. butter, melted (I never use all of this– start with 1/2 c. melted butter)
- Beat the shortening and 1/2 c. sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; add egg, beating well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Spoon batter into lightly greased miniature muffin pan cups. The batter should yield ~24 mini puffs. I can’t ever spoon evenly into the muffin pans, so I get ~20 puffs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Combine 1 c. sugar and cinnamon in a shallow dish.
- Remove puffs from pans and dip in melted butter. Give the puff tops a good bath in the butter, so they soak up enough buttery goodness. Then, dredge in cinnamon mixture.
- The puffs contain egg and milk (protein) and sugar (energy).
Such a cute dog! Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Except for the early wake up, she is pretty good so far. Enjoy the recipe!
Those look good!
They can be a little dry, so make sure the whole top gets dipped into the melted butter. The “muffin top” part is of course the yummiest bite. Love these with my iced coffee. Thanks for reading!